Sunday, September 23, 2012

Trans-Continental Ponderings






I just drove 1,386 miles.

By myself.

People always wondered if I was crazy, and this little adventure is pretty much proof-positive that yes, I am INSANE.

I was charged with bringing down my convertible Mustang from Kansas City to our home in Ft. Myers - where she'll be much happier, with the warmer weather and all. I loaded her up with stuff that is too big to pack on airline flights, and left early yesterday morning. A brief night spent in Chattanooga, so I could get some rest, and it was back on the road all day today.

Twenty-three hours in a car - solo - gives one lots of time to ponder, and I came up with the following observations:

1. There really is some AMAZING beautiful country out there...I've always loved Tennessee, and it didn't fail to deliver...what with the trees and rolling hills. Gorgeous.

2. Kentucky has the worst roads...ever. I used to think Missouri did, but the Show-Me State recently repaved I-70 between Kansas City and St. Louis, so now Kentucky gets top honors.

3. I hope there's a special place in heaven for Ivan Getting...the guy attributed with inventing GPS and the Garmin. My Garmin was my BFF the entire trip, and never led me astray.

4. I hope there's a special place in Hell for the engineers who designed the highways in downtown Atlanta...even at 9:00 am on a freakin' Sunday morning, it was a NIGHTMARE. I can't imagine what it's like during a regular rush hour. Yikes.

5. The drivers in Florida are Kamikaze maniacs who drive under the mistaken assumption that they're at Daytona....the minute I crossed the state line into the Sunshine State, the speeds of my fellow drivers ramped up to a knuckle-clenching 90 mph. Holy Heart Attack, Batman...it was scary.

6. Peanut butter M&M's and Diet Dr. Pepper provide enough sugar and energy to fuel me for a 24-hour trip...I wonder...because it's "diet" - would that be considered "unleaded"?!

7. It's my scientific observation that 40% of the population does not know what the passing lane is...and 30% of the population is too stupid to be driving. Seriously. How do some of these people have licenses??!!

8. The world's rubber shortage could be solved if all the discarded tire treads were picked up off the highways and recycled.

9. Re-connecting with a ton of CD's that I hadn't listened to in FOREVER made for a fun trip...oldies, new stuff, country - even an audio book in the mix - and I was jammin'.

10. I am exhausted. For doing nothing but sitting on my butt for two days - I am really, really tired.

The good news...I am flying back to Kansas City. Never again will I make this drive.

Peace.

Signature

2 comments:

Lois--Huckleberry Lady said...

#2 PA rates right up there with bad
roads...I live there!!!

Lois--Huckleberry Lady said...

I'm having trouble continuing with the last post, so just starting over!!!
#7 AMEN!!!
#8 so true!!!
#9 it's when your in a car that you have time to listen to favorites or talk on the phone...which your not supposed to do, but that's the only time I'm not doing anything else...but driving. lol
#10 Get some rest.