Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly


If nothing else, my blog is brutally honest.

I won't sugarcoat things…ever.

If something sucks, I'll say it sucks. And I might throw in a few choice words, as well.



Today's entry - and note it's the SECOND ENTRY FOR THE DAY - which, like, NEVER happens, but maybe I'm making up for lost time - today's entry is about my running.

The good…the bad…and the ugly.


I have my very first half-marathon coming up next weekend, and to say I'm scared to death is an understatement. I mean, where in everything that is rational, did I EVER think I could run 13.1 miles???!! But - what's done is done, and since I've paid for the darned race, by golly, I can and I WILL run it. I want my medal, dammit.

So…today's plan called for an easy run of six miles.

First, the good…


As I was running along - on a street, by the way, that I have ran just about EVERY SINGLE DAY for the last five months, I came across something lying in the middle of the road that literally stopped me in my tracks:



A penny.

Oh. My. God.

If you know the story, it is often believed that our deceased loved ones often give us signs to let us know they are okay. One of the most common of these signs is that they place pennies, other coins, or even dollar bills in our paths. There's even a poem:

"Pennies from Heaven"

I found a penny today
Just laying on the ground.
But it's not just a penny
This little coin I've found.

Found pennies come from heaven
that's what my Grandpa told me.
He said Angels tossed them down
Oh, how I loved that story!

He said when an Angel misses you
They toss a penny down,
sometimes just to cheer you up
To make a smile out of your frown.

So don't pass by that penny
When you're feeling blue.
It may be a penny from heaven
That an Angel's tossed to you.



A penny from heaven. From my Dad, obviously…tossed down in my running path so I'd be sure to find it.

Well. That penny immediately was picked up and put in my running belt, where it will stay until after my race next weekend.

Thanks, Dad. I guess he knew how much I needed that sign.


So, now…the bad.

One week before the half, and I ran kinda', sorta', not very well. My Achilles tendon has reared it's ugly head, and that slowed me down. And I'm 'technically' under doctor's orders to not run this week, due to my surgery on Tuesday. Sorry, doc, but there's NO WAY I could not be running one week before a half-marathon, so I kinda', sorta', disobeyed doctor's orders. But it's okay, doc, cuz I ran slow.



Gah. One of my slowest paces EVER. But I got it done.


And now, the ugly.

DON'T READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU'RE SQUEAMISH.

Seriously. I'm warning you.


I wasn't sure if I was brave enough to post the following photo. But - as I said - I'm brutally honest, and why not be brutally honest about my disfigurement? The following photo is what my forehead looks like…after a 3-hour procedure on Tuesday to remove skin cancer…this is a result of being addicted to tanning beds as a teenager:




Scary, huh? And just in time for Halloween.

Of course, I still have stitches, which will be removed on Monday. As if that will make it better. Bwahahahahaha. As I said in my previous post, I'm just going to start calling it my Harry Potter scar.


So there you have it…the good, the bad, and the ugly…but I'll focus on the good. Truly, a penny from heaven.

Peace.

Signature

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There's no doubt that the penny was from your dad. In 2010, my dog died, my Great Grandma died and my Grandma (great grandma's daughter) was diagnosed with breast cancer. A week later, My great aunt (grandmas sis) found a Dalmatian figurine (the breed of my dog) in her junk droor. She had never seen it before. My family has the figurine now. No doubt that it was Daytona.

You are ready for this half. Trust me. Kick some booty and run in memory of your Dad. Hugs