Friday, March 15, 2019

FanGirling at the World


Last week, I spent some time at Walt Disney World, along with about 999,999 other people. Seriously - it was CROWDED. And I speak from experience, as I visit WDW about once every three months, and this is the most crowded I’ve seen it in awhile. Maybe it was because of Mardi Gras? Spring break? Or just people trying to escape the frozen polar temperatures from up north? Whatever the reason, it led to some serious changes in how I “do” Disney....

I normally can hop in relatively short lines, and enjoy the likes of my favorite roller coasters on property, such as Rock ‘n Roller Coaster at Hollywood Studios, or Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom. And although I WAS able to get “some” rides done on these, it wasn’t as much as I am used to. So - that led to Plan B - which was focusing on doing some character meets.

Meeting characters at Walt Disney World is always fun - although some interactions/characters are more fun than others.

For instance, meeting Baymax at Epcot was an absolute delight:


He’s all soft and squishy and huggable - like a giant Pillsbury Dough Boy - and although he doesn’t speak, he definitely communicates with his eyes, and leaves you feeling very, very loved.

Along that same line is meeting Olaf, from “Frozen”:


Olaf gives good warm hugs, and he always makes sure you’re using sunscreen. Wouldn’t want those snowflake arms to burn, right??!!

Meeting the Princess at Walt Disney World takes a bit more effort - some Princesses can only be found at restaurants, while others have a dedicated meeting spot. Here are some of the Princesses I met last week:

...because meeting Cinderella is a MUST at Walt Disney World, duh!!

Belle from “Beauty and the Beast” - she didn’t talk much, but looked very pretty in her yellow ball gown....

Snow White sounds EXACTLY like she does in the movie...go figure!!

Elsa is explaining how Olaf’s nose will fall off if he gets to sneezing too much in the flowers....

Anna actually told me the same thing about Olaf - and his carrot nose - so I guess it must be true....


Of course, there’s more to meet than Princesses...I also spent some time in a galaxy far, far away:

On my last visit with Chewbacca, in September, I did NOT have Chewie represented on my skirt. He was not happy. Well, I found different material this time, and made SURE I had Chewie on my skirt - and he was now a very happy Wookie.

And here I am, pointing out to a DROID, that he, too, is represented on my skirt. Sigh.

And then there’s the awkward character greeting:

Kylo Ren. Who will not let you tough him, hug him, high-5 him, or basically, be nice to him. He paces. And he paces some more. And he says weird things...leaving me always wondering that the heck to say and/or do. Most of the time, I just skip meeting him, but for some reason, I thought maybe he’d changed this trip. He hadn’t. #AWKWARD


One of my favorite interactions this trip was with Edna Mode, from “The Incredibles.” She’s new, and I had worn a button with her picture on it specifically for her. She was THRILLED!!!


Seriously, she was jumping up and down with joy when she saw the button - which is really out of character for the always suave, always cool Edna - but hey...I loved it!!!


Sometimes, people ask me why I go to Disney so much, and I guess these character meetings are a big part of it. A part of me reverts back to being a 6-year old girl when I’m actually hugging Snow White or Sleeping Beauty, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with feeling like a kid again!!!

Let me know if you ever need any tips and/or advice on the best way to meet anyone at WDW; I think I’m pretty much an expert at this point, and would be glad to help!!!

Magical greetings,

Signature

No comments: