Sunday, March 10, 2019

That Time the Fire Department Called Me to See If I Was Alive




I’m still currently at Disney World, on a fabulous solo trip...which is usually a ton of fun, but today - led to a bit of trouble.

See, last night I went to Hollywood Studios for an event called “Disney After Hours.” For extra $$$, Disney will sell you a ticket that lets you stay in the park for 3 hours after the park has officially “closed” to other guests. Estimates are that they only allow about 2,500 - 3,000 guests do this, which makes for a near-empty park - and some great riding ability on the best rides with little to no lines. Last night’s event ran from 8:30 pm until 11:30 pm, and I was there for every fun-filled minute - and slowly staggering back to the bus near 11:45 pm to take me back to my hotel.

After getting to my room, I collapsed into bed - sometime around 12:30 a.m.

However - it was Daylight Savings Time.

Clocks moved forward.

So, it was kinda’ 1:30 a.m. before I fell asleep.

I was EXHAUSTED.

So...I turned off my phone before I went to bed, and made the executive decision that I would sleep in today - which was a great plan, in theory - but unfortunately, that was not to be.


At 9:00 a.m. or so - while I was in a deep, deep sleep - the telephone in my room rang. LOUDLY. Nearly scared me to death, as that phone hasn’t rang all week.

I sleepily fumbled for the phone, and groggily mumbled, “Hello?”

A very-official sounding man on the other end said, “Is this Sherri?”

“Yes.” (I’m so tired, I’m not even asking who it is on the other end.)

The man than said, “This is the Reedy County Fire Department - and we’re doing a welfare check on you. Is everything okay?”

Well.

He’s got my attention now.

“Um, yeah - I’m okay. I mean, I had a late night, and I was sleeping in, but I’m okay.”

The man then asked, “Do you know a Mike?”

“Yes - he’s my husband.” Oh NO! Is something wrong with MIKE??!! (My brain is still a bit groggy.)

“Well, he contacted us, ma’am, because he’s been unable to contact you. You might want to give him a call.”’

OH. MY. GOD.


So, I called Hubby, who said that my phone tracker (yes, we all track each other on our phones) had me at the Fire Department near Walt Disney World since 10:30 p.m. the night before - and he was frantic. Was I sick? Was I injured? Had I been kidnapped by a fireman? And when I didn’t answer my phone, Hubby was certain that I had fallen to nefarious shenanigans and needed help.

Here’s the photo of where the tracker said I was:





I have NO idea why the tracker was so wrong in where I was - but how strange!!!

Needless to say, I was fully awake by now - and thought that perhaps a solo trip wasn’t in my best interests, and maybe next time I should take Hubby WITH me so he doesn’t freak out when I don’t answer my phone!!!


Signature

No comments: