Monday, May 4, 2009

Monday Mission: VIM




“Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" - Isaiah 6:8


It’s another Monday! Which means, time for a Monday Mission Moment – and today’s mission is VIM! I LOVE VIM trips….it’s probably my favorite mission of all!

What is VIM, you say?? "VIM" stands for "Volunteers in Mission.” The purpose of a VIM trip is to make a Christian difference by sharing the love of Christ through participation in short-term mission work here and abroad. VIM trips take place several times a year, and are spent doing general construction and painting, with no special skills required.

I guess you could say I am a “VIM” junkie...

In the last 15 months, I have been on VIM trips to Hawaii, New Orleans, Guatemala, Jamaica, Greensburg, and will be heading to Galveston this weekend. (And again – that’s just in the last 15 months!)

In Hawaii, I spent 19 days working at Camp Mekokiko on the Big Island. I got to work outside helping to landscape the camp and prepare it for handicapped children. To say it was one of my most scenic mission trips would be an understatement – the weather was ideal and I had a view of Maui every day while working! Tough, huh?

In New Orleans and Greensburg, time was spent assisting residents recover from the wrath of Mother Nature – hurricanes and tornadoes. I’ve learned many new skills on VIM trips – I’ve learned how to operate power tools, how to hang sheetrock, how to mud, how to stain trim, how to tile a floor…things I’d never known how to do before but now consider myself a “weekend warrior” at the very least! These skills will be utilized this upcoming weekend in Galveston.

In Jamaica, I worked in a medical clinic, where I learned how to take blood pressure and to ‘stick’ a finger for measuring blood sugar…again, educational!


In Guatemala, my education has been profound. Besides learning how to build schools, I’ve learned how to harvest coffee, speak (basic) Spanish and a few words of Cakquichel, mortar walls, and I have learned all about a mysterious, ancient culture when working side-by-side with indigenous Mayas.

VIM trips are “boomerang” experiences – you go out with the intention of helping others, and it always comes right back at ya’ – you’re the one who returns feeling transformed and changed in many personal, spiritual – and even physical ways.

If you’re ever interested in a VIM trip, let me know – being a self-confessed VIM junkie, I can always tell you when the next one is happening, and where it’s going. And maybe – just maybe – I’ll get you on one, and you can become a VIM addict like me!

No comments: