Saturday, September 10, 2011

It's Not A Misprint



September 10, 2001.

Anyone remember THAT day?

The day BEFORE our world changed, as we know it?

What were you doing on September 10th, 2001?

I remember September 10th.

I remember driving home from a glorious, fantastic, absolutely-near-perfect 4-day weekend in western Colorado with my hubby. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison had been our destination, and it was stunningly beautiful.

The weather had been absolutely beautiful...skies were blue...the mountains were majestic...the aspens were starting to turn...

As hubby and I drove the long stretch of lonesome highway through Colorado and Kansas, heading east to our home and our children, we talked and reflected on how fabulous the long weekend had been...

We talked about how just beautiful parts of our country were...and how lucky we were able to live here and able to hop in a car and drive where we wanted to.

Freedom.

We talked about our freedoms...to travel, to talk, to DO.

Little did we know that the very next morning, our country would be attacked because of those freedoms.

On September 10th, 2001, I was innocent. Naive. Trusting. Full of hope. Fearless.

On September 11, 2001 - I was forever changed. No longer innocent. No longer trusting. Realizing that our country could indeed be attacked from within. Scared. Helpless.

And yet - determined. Determined to not let a few men and their misguided beliefs affect my children and their dreams.

A new reality.

In the sad & heart-wrenching days that followed 9/11, how I sometimes longed to go back to those sweet, innocent days before...how I ached for the feelings I had on September 10th, and how I wondered if I would ever have those feelings back.

Where were you on September 10th, 2001?

Do you remember?

On the 10th anniversary, I've given pause to how I've changed over the years.

I'm not as naive. I'm not scared. I'm not as trusting. I'm more skeptical.

And my determination? To protect my children and my country?

Even stronger.

Peace.

Signature

No comments: