Monday, September 19, 2011

My Coming-Out Party




My "coming out" party - in honor of my gallbladder - was a huge success.

Early Friday morning, I headed off to the local hospital, where I checked in and the gallbladder checked out.

Getting knocked out by general anesthesia pretty much terrifies me...so I was a tad-bit nervous Friday morning.

Heck, who am I kidding...??! I didn't sleep AT ALL Thursday night, and I was more than a "tad-bit" nervous...I was a nervous WRECK by the time I arrived at the hospital.

Imagine my surprise when a pastor from my church showed up at the hospital, which was a HUGE relief and blessing...I needed a calm, reassuring voice to alleviate some of my fears, and Rich was most definitely calm and reassuring.

If anyone ever wonders if pastoral visits to hospitals make a difference, I can resoundingly say, "YES!" They do.

After the surgery, I went home, where I've pretty much taken to my bed and not left it. Recovery is going well, but a little slow.

Friday afternoon, a card arrived in the mail...

It was a get well card, signed by the Red Cross volunteers I had worked with while deployed to New Jersey.

And while it was such a simple thing, it touched me beyond belief...actually bringing tears to my eyes that they would take time out of their crazy, busy days to send me a card.

If anyone ever wonders if get-well cards make a difference, I can resoundingly say, "YES!" They do.

The simple things...visits...phone calls...cards...Facebook messages...all make a difference when someone is under the weather.

And as for me...a few more days of rest...and I should be good to go. Well. Not running any 5K's soon, but I hope to at least be able to walk from the bedroom to the kitchen without wanting to pass out.

Peace.

Signature

2 comments:

Lois--Huckleberry Lady said...

Glad to hear everything went ok and your home. Take it easy so you get better faster!!!! (if that works) lol

Take care,

Lois

LuAnne Lizotte said...

having a good seige of M.S. this week so I haven't read your posts. Now I am caught up and I had to grin to myself. MILK IT!!! lol as long as you have sweet loving family they will wait on you hand and foot for at least a couple of days longer than needed. lol Get well soon.