Monday, April 9, 2012

Life Gets In the Way



I'm such a loser.

No, really.

I am.

I have been neglecting this poor, little, under-appreciated blog...for what?

A life??!!

Yes. Life gets busy.

But that's still no excuse. Right?

Anyway, I promise to try and do better.

In the meantime, I could update you on my exciting weekend.

Saturday, I spent half the day with the American Red Cross, participating in an annual field exercise where we send teams of volunteers out to "pretend" to do damage assessment after a "pretend" tornado.

The exercise was pretty cool; I got to sit at Headquarters and play with a new software program we have that allows our teams to text us with all kinds of information. The software is a little "buggy" at this point, but once the developers work through the kinks, it will be amazing. Seriously.


Hank and I checking out the new software...

While at the exercise, my dad calls to tell me that my mom is in the hospital with severe stomach pains. Oh, wonderful!

Mom has been in the hospital ever since, while they do a myriad of tests to see what is causing the mysterious pain. The last guess was pancreatitis...but nothing definitive at this time. She is hoping to go home today, so we're saying some prayers.


Saturday night, Hubby and I went to the American Heartland Theater, where we saw a hysterical performance of Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest." Oh my God, I laughed so hard - I had a side ache on the way home. Unfortunately, not a lot of the audience appreciated Oscar Wilde's wit and observations about society in general - it seemed that sometimes, I was the only person laughing...and wasn't that embarrassing?!

After a late night on Saturday, what with preparing the house for the Easter Bunny's visit and all, (why, oh, why do I wait until the last minute to assemble Easter baskets & stuff plastic eggs??!!), Sunday was rather hectic. Initially, Easter Dinner was going to be at my mom's. Well, her being in the hospital kinda' changed those plans, so Guess Who? stepped up to the plate??!!

Yup. Moi.

Expecting 11 people for dinner, with a birthday party for my son to follow, it was a busy day spent cleaning, cooking, and setting tables. I have to give kudos to my 12-year old daughter, who was right there with me every step of the way, with offers of, "What can I do to help?" and "What next, Mom?" She is amazing, and I'm very blessed to have her in my life.

Easter dinner was a success, except for some stubborn rolls that refused to rise...argh....I then cleared the kitchen and set everything out for the 19-year old's birthday party...complete with two cakes and ice cream. Whew.

After dinner, and the subsequent birthday party, I supervised the 22-year old son working on his college graduation announcements, while simultaneously supervising the 12-year old working on her Digital Movie Making Girl Scout badge.

Busy, busy, busy.

And I wonder why I can't find the time to write on this blog???!!!

Peace.

Signature

1 comment:

Mental P Mama said...

Yowza! You need a vacation. Hope your mom is on the mend. And, Oscar Wilde was the bomb!!!