Sunday, September 27, 2009

Yellowstone On My Mind



So I’m sitting here tonight, engrossed in the new Ken Burns documentary, “The National Parks: America’s Best Idea.” The first 2-hour installment of a 12-hour series premiered tonight on PBS. And all I can say is, “Wow.”

Burns has done it again. Of course, what a subject matter he had to work with. I don’t know about you, but I LOVE our national parks. Love, love, love. I’ve been to numerous national parks – all over our beautiful country – but I have to say that my favorite is Yellowstone.

I’ve been to Yellowstone countless times now – in both winter and summer. It’s gorgeous, breathtaking, awe-inspiring – and jaw-dropping. The natural beauty – the wildlife – the different eco-systems – all come together in one place that can never be absorbed in just one trip. The photo above - one of my favorite photos EVER that I have taken myself - was taken back in 2002 at the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Isn't it gorgeous?

If I won the lottery, and could pick any place in the country to live, I honestly say I would probably build a cabin right smack in the middle of Yellowstone. (If it were legal – which it’s not!) It’s that amazing.

This isn’t a long post tonight – I’m too wrapped up in this televised delight for the eyes – but just wanted to share. The series is on every night from now until Friday night – try to catch one of the episodes.

And if you’ve never been to Yellowstone National Park – go. Just go. You won’t regret it. Take a camera. And lots of memory cards. You’ll need it. Or - do as my daughter once said: "Take pictures with your mind."

Peace.



Mikayla and I in Yellowstone - Summer 2008

No comments: