Wednesday, February 2, 2011

This, I Know...


Snow drifts up our stairs in our back yard...



Know this...

...that after getting deployed yesterday afternoon at 4:30 pm with the American Red Cross,

...that after driving 45 minutes through the raging, howling winds of a white-out blizzard,


No, my photo's not blurry...

...that after setting up a warming shelter in a local community center for stranded highway motorists,


(like for this truck driver, who jack-knived in front of us....)


...that after registering said motorists and quickly cooking some delicious, hot pizza so they could eat,

...that after getting a call from Red Cross RE-assigning me to a different shelter (at 8:30 pm),

...that after driving 45 minutes AGAIN through the raging, howling winds of a white-out blizzard to the NEW shelter,

...that after shoveling mounds of drifting, blowing snow in the mind-numbing, frost-biting temperatures in the darkness of night so we could open the doors of the shelter...without a hat (ouch, said my ears),

...that after getting the new shelter ready for any new, potentially-stranded highway motorists,

...that after spending a restless night on an uncomfortable cot with a thin blanket to ward off the chill, of which there was plenty,

...that after shutting down the shelter at 6:30 a.m. this morning and heading home,

...know THIS:

...that I am one pooped puppy.

Either getting old is not for the faint of heart...or blizzards can kick your butt.

This, I know.

But, I also know that, for all the chaos and misery they cause during their midst, blizzards most certainly leave beauty behind when the move out.



Peace.

Signature

3 comments:

Terri Steffes said...

God bless you and your Red Cross team!

LuAnne Lizotte said...

since i found your site I generally read it every day for enjoyment. Today I will tell you that I am proud to know you even though it is through a cyberspace friendship. I know that you will be there to help others. Thank you!

Dual Mom said...

That picture of the jack knifed truck makes me throw up in my mouth.

You my dear are an angel in disguise!