Thursday, February 9, 2012

R-Rated? As If...



As one of my responsibilities as the Volunteer Chairman of the Kansas City chapter of the American Red Cross, I have the unmitigated pleasure of hosting the monthly meeting we have with our disaster volunteers.

Yup - it's my job to put together the program each month that will draw the volunteers in and keep them interested....fun, huh?

Yeah. Not so much.

Over the last several years, I've brought in various guest speakers, who've all given interesting presentations to our group. We've had firemen, rescue dogs and handlers, emergency operation managers, underwater rescuers - even local television weathermen. It all makes for fascinating meetings...but it takes a lot of work on my part to put it all together.

This year, I decided to change the focus a bit - and concentrate on training. (Frankly, I've pretty much plumb run out of people who can come in and talk - and have it be something we haven't heard before...but don't tell anyone I said that.)

As I was slogging away at the presentation I'm putting together for next week's meeting - it dawned on me that I could have a bit of fun with it.

Instead of getting up and just lecturing - or showing the tried-and-true Powerpoint - I decided to do something new & original....because new & original is always good.

And I couldn't begin to tell you how many lectures or Powerpoints the average Red Cross volunteer has sat through. Let's just say, "Too many."

I came up with a BRILLIANT presentation that mimics "Family Feud" - complete with buzzers, questions, prizes - the entire bit.

Cheesy? Yes. But unique? Yes. And certainly more fun than a lecture. Or another Powerpoint. Yawn.

I'd like to think that the points will be made - but in a fun and engaging way that keeps the interest.

At yesterday's leadership meeting, I put in a plug for the volunteer meeting next week by telling the group, "I'm not going to tell you what it's all about...but let's just say that it's something that's NEVER been done before in the history of our Disaster Meetings! You will NOT want to miss it - and let me just say, it's going to be fun AND exciting!"

Well, that certainly put a buzz in the leadership council...as the meeting concluded, people were walking out of the room and discussing what could possibly be on the agenda next week.

One guy hung back, and approached me with a bit of a worried look on his face.

"Sherri," he began...a bit hesitantly....and I waited for him to continue, while gathering up all my meeting crap.

"I'm just wondering about next week..." he continued, the worry increasing.

"Yes?" I prompted.

"Um....what you're doing...it's not...like...R-rated or anything, is it???" he whispered.

Say WHAT??!!

Do I LOOK like the type of person who would do R-rated entertainment??!!

(Wait. Don't answer that. Maybe I would do R-rated for a bachelorette party...but for the Red Cross? I don't THINK so!)

Was he KIDDING me???!!!

No. He wasn't kidding. He was genuinely worried.

After I recovered a bit from the shock, I reassured him that no, it was not R-rated, and it would be very fun and very clean.

Geesh.

It did leave me wondering, though...is this what people think of me??! I DO like to have fun...and I like to laugh...but really?

R-rated entertainment at a work meeting?

Is "Family Feud" R-rated? Please don't say yes. Ack.

Peace.

Signature

No comments: