Saturday, February 4, 2012

Where's My Red Cape?




I've been looking over my shoulder quite a bit this week, expecting to see my bright red Super Hero cape fluttering behind me.

Okay, not really.

Wait. Let me think on that....

Yes, damn it. Really. Where is my Super Hero red cape??!!?

I guess you don't get one unless you do something truly heroic, like saving the world from evil and mass destruction and aliens, which I am far, far from doing...but I DID manage to get quite a bit accomplished this week, and all for the good, I think.

By getting my daughter in to the dentist immediately after her accident, I did save mass destruction in her mouth...right?

I took my sister to a cancer support group this week, where she met several fellow cancer patients and survivors, and was able to laugh, giggle and share stories of her battles against the Ugly C....so, that saved her from dwelling on the evils of cancer, right?

I spent one evening this week at a local elementary school, where I talked 1:1 with several dozen children about fire and tornado safety...I think working with children qualifies as dealing with aliens, right?

The rest of my week:
- a visit to the ENT doctor for my own battle with my ear issues
- a visit to Urgent Care to get daughter's concussion checked
- an evening spent training brand-new Disaster volunteers with the Red Cross
- and an afternoon spent on a national conference call with the National Field Director of the NAACP, discussing cultural competency in working with the African American community during disasters....whew.

AND....AND....I worked out. Every. Single. Day. in the gym, pushing myself to that 10K this summer. Well...and Super Heros have to keep up their muscles, you know. ;)

Not be left out, my brain was 'exercised', as well, by reading one of the best books I have ever read, entitled, "Me and the Ugly C" by Becky Dennington - a first-hand account of a young woman's battle against breast cancer. I laughed, I cried, and I cheered for her every step of the way.

The week is not over yet, and I'm already near exhaustion. It's not easy being a Super Hero - but I'm sure there's magical, restorative powers in that bright red cape...if only I can get my hands on one.

Peace.

Signature

1 comment:

Mental P Mama said...

Ugh. Take care of yourself! I mean it!