Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I Am Woman...Hear Me Roar



Twenty years ago, I took an auto mechanics course at my local community college. There was nothing more thrilling than learning about changing oil, checking spark plugs, and changing a tire, among other things.

And of course, I maintained everything that I learned 20 years ago and I consider myself quite the expert when it comes to auto maintenance.

.

.

.

Bwahahahahahahaha. Okay, that made me laugh.

In reality, here's the extent of my auto knowledge: if I put the key in and the car starts, yay for me! If I put the key in and the car doesn't start, boo-hiss for me - and a quick call is made to Hubby for help.

However, I did impress myself this week...here in Florida, I got to reconnect the battery on my car. That's so the darn thing doesn't go dead - again - like it decided to do the LAST time I was here....so now, the battery gets disconnected between trips.

Oh what fun it was, hanging out under the hood of my car and getting my hands oily.

Not.

That's only been part of the fun, though...this week, I've managed to:

1. Scrub all 10,000 tiles on the floor - by hand - to remove sheetrock dust, tile dust, and contractor's dirty boot prints....nine months of remodeling will create quite a mess, trust me.

2. Re-connect the phone, internet, and printer - which not being an electrical person, I was QUITE proud of conquering where every mysterious cord & wire & thingamajiggy went - and successfully, at that....

3. Arrange for the air-conditioning to get serviced, as it sounded like the Amazon Rain Forest in my garage - drip, drip, drip...(we must have a clog??? Again, no surprise there - lots of dust flying through this house the past year)....

4. Arrange for the pool to be serviced, as it appears the pool heater went ka-put last month and blew oil into the pool....ew, right? Not exactly the kind of oil I put on before I go tanning....

5. After discovering a geyser in my front yard on Sunday, and deducing that a sprinkler head was blown, I spent 3 hours last night digging out 25 other sprinkler heads from the grass that has choked them off...by hand...in the wet, muddy ground...just me, the worms, and the ants. Thankfully - no snakes. Or grubs. If I had come across a grub, that would have been the end of THAT little chore.

6. Arrange for a power-wash on my roof tomorrow, as my once-white roof has turned a greenish-black in the Florida humidity...this is one job that I can't do myself, as I'd fall off and break my neck - so I've brought in the big guns.

There's been no time for swimming...relaxing...or horrors - shopping. Heck, I'm doing good to fit in eating (which is probably a good thing) - but still...

I fly home on Friday, and if I play my cards right, I might...perhaps...maybe...squeeze in one beach day on Thursday.

And by golly, I'll have EARNED that day at the beach.

I am woman. Hear me roar.

Signature

2 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

I think you need to extend your stay. So you can, you know, actually relax!

Lois--Huckleberry Lady said...

Enjoy your relaxing day!!! Sounds like fun!!!
Lois