Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Go, War Eagle!




My love affair with Auburn football began many, many years ago...but if you ask me why, I really, really don't have a good reason.

The best way I can explain it, is....

I once had a friend who once went to Auburn, and he was a huge football fan.

So was I. (Well...I still am. Even more so, if that's possible.)

Every Monday, my friend and I liked to play the Monday Morning Quarterback game, where we'd sit and discuss and analyze the past weekend's gridiron action, and I found myself following the Auburn Tigers so that I'd know what the heck he was talking about when he'd dissect their game.

Hey. There are certain guys that don't give us female football fans enough credit - and I wanted to be credible when I went into ESPN-analyst mode.

Before I knew it, I was not only an Auburn Tigers expert - but I was an Auburn Tigers FAN. Huh. Who knew?

So - although I will always hold the Missouri Tigers near and dear to my heart, I still root really, really hard for the Auburn Tigers.

Who just happens to have the Heisman Trophy winner this year playing as their quarterback - Cam Newton.

And who just happened to play in the college football national championship game last night.

Against the Oregon Ducks. (And really? Your mascot is a duck? Seriously? That always "quacks" me up when I hear that.)

And who just happened to win.

At the last minute.

Which made the game not only really, really exciting, and nail-biting, and heart-attack inducing - but also really, really freakin' AWESOME.

Go, War Eagle. Love you.

(And it is SO on my Bucket List to actually BE at an Auburn football game - IN Auburn. It will happen. One of these days.)

Peace.

Signature

4 comments:

Terri Steffes said...

I am a Green Bay Packer fan. Know why? Cuz they won the Super Bowl twice when I was a kid. I've been to their stadium but not on a game day. I hope you get your wish!

Mental P Mama said...

There is nothing like an SEC game. Nothing. Yay Auburn!

Emily said...

I'm apparently a "bad Oregonian" for not watching the game and not even caring about it. haha! :)

And a duck sorta makes sense for an Oregon team... It rains a LOT here.

Brad said...

I actually watched the game. I was rooting for Oregon, especially after Auburn gave up a touchdown right at the very end. Shame they couldn't pull it off.