Monday, January 24, 2011

Puberty? Gah!




I think we can all agree that there are certain things in life that, for the most part, are extremely painful and to be avoided at all costs...

...such as...root canals...giving birth without an epidural...bikini waxes...squeezing into one-size-too-small panty hose...

...and talking to a Girl Scout troop of eight little 5th-graders about puberty.

Yes, tonight was all about "Becoming a Teen" - just another fun badge in the Junior Handbook - and just another fun night with giggling, squealing, and screeching girls as we talked about role models, responsibility, peer pressure, and horror of horrors - body changes.

Gah.

Actually, in all honesty, it went much better than I thought it would. The girls had tons of questions, comments and opinions - and it was interesting to hear their viewpoints on issues that are relevant to them.

And - the best thing...with my daughter in the troop, I really like being a part of her life in this way, and sharing in these moments. It's pretty cool.

It's going to be SO HARD to give up my Girl Scout troop when I move this summer. I'm already dreading it - as these young ladies have become such a part of my life over the last few years.

A little piece of my heart is going to be ripped out and left behind when we're in Florida, and my scouts are here in Kansas City.

I'll miss the talks and the laughter and the giggles...

And yes...I'll even miss the shrieking. Perhaps. A little.

Or maybe not.

Peace.

Signature

3 comments:

Terri Steffes said...

I love fifth graders! I miss my Girl Scout troup.. but my GS is 25!

Mental P Mama said...

You are so brave. And, I didn't know you were moving to FL permanently!

Aunt Juicebox said...

Aw! I'm sure it'll be hard. :(
You were right about KC, it was cold! And very windy! I see why you're moving to FL!