Saturday, December 27, 2008

Sociable Introverts

I had lunch today with an old girlfriend...we have been friends for many, many years, and she's the type of friend that when we get together, we can pretty much talk about anything. That's right - nothing is off limits. We talk about our families, jobs, pop stars, politics - wherever the spirit moves us. It's always refreshing to get together with Debby - I can pretty much let it "all hang out" and not worry about what she might think - there's no pressure, no judgements.

I am an introvert in an extrovert's body. When you get right down to it, I really prefer solitude. I like being alone. I feel that I can re-charge my batteries when I'm by myself. Social gatherings exhaust me - I can't wait to get back home and just chill out, alone. However, if you met me - or if you know me - you would probably be surprised to hear me say these things. In most social gatherings, I'm the life of the party - yup, the one who has to be the center of attention, cracking the jokes and making sure everyone is laughing and having a good time. I guess I have a reputation for being a talker. Go figure. Introverts can be talkers, though - that's not against the rules. I'm just a sociable introvert. Nothing wrong with that.

I love having friends. Because of my volunteer work with the American Red Cross, as well as various mission trips, I feel like I have friends all over the country. Heck, all over the world! I have a very good friend in Guatemala City - Elly - who I think about all the time and always hope she is doing well. I try to see her whenever I'm in Guatemala - in 2007, I got to spend a week with her, which was pretty awesome. Here's a photo of Elly and I in 2007, in Guatemala City:



My friends with the Red Cross are amazing. These are fellow volunteers who have left their jobs and their families and the comforts of their own homes to get out there and assist in times of disaster. By the time you've spent 3 weeks with these people, they're practically family. I feel that I can travel anywhere in the U.S. and stay with any of these friends - just drop in - and they wouldn't mind a bit. That's the kind of friends they are. Here's a photo of me and some girlfriends from the Red Cross, in Port Arthur - after putting in a 12-hour day serving others:



Do you have good friends? I hope so - they really are a good thing. Take the time today and call an old friend. Set up a time to get together for lunch. Send an email - or better yet, an actual card or letter in "snail mail." Let them know how much you appreciate them. See how things are going in their world.

Be sure to do YOUR part today to save the world - one act at a time, one day at a time.

Peace.

No comments: