Monday, January 12, 2009

Pastry Kisses

Events of Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Location: Jamaica

I am now moved from medical mission to construction mission work - much more up my alley. We are to rebuild Ms. Dimple's little shop across the street. Her shop is being eaten up by termites - the wood is rotten, the paint is peeling - and we will rebuild.

Several of us visit the local hardware store to purchase some wood and other tools. We measure, cut, and screw - all the while in the hot Jamaican sun. Ms. Dimple has a puppy, Pastry, who decides to adopt us and visits us quite often while we work. If I could smuggle this puppy home in my suitcase, I would. She is a joy.


Ms. Dimple's shop is right by the street - behind a long, concrete fence. The fence is looking in pretty sad shape, as well - so a decision is made to repaint the fence, as we repaint the shop. I decide to have a little "fun" and write some graffiti on the fence before we paint it:


Okay, fun is over - I must now get to work and paint the fence. The fence is about 60 yards long - it takes work. In the sun. I look a little hot and sweaty in this photo:


Short entry today - the sun was VERY hot, there was no shade, and by 4:00 p.m., I have hit the wall. I am covered with sweat, sawdust, and dog kisses (Pastry loves me). I drag myself back to the dorm and attempt to take a shower.

Our showers have been interesting all week. On a good day, we get a trickle of water to shower in. No joke. A trickle. It's warm - but it certainly takes awhile to get shampoo out of your hair. On a bad day, you get nothing. Nada. Zip. Not even a drop. It's a little disconcerting to turn on a shower and have it be dry. On those days, you squeeze your head under the bathroom sink to wash up. This is certainly fun.

But today, God is with me, and I have a trickle - and I keep it cold, on purpose, to cool my body down. It really is hot.

Heat has drained me - no energy. After dinner, which is a true Jamaican dish of spaghetti & meatballs (ha), it is time for bed.

Irie.

No comments: