Thursday, January 14, 2010

Coincidence at Church


I had a 10:00 meeting yesterday at church to discuss the future of our Guatemala mission trips.

I arrive promptly at the church, and after circling the parking lot a few times, trying to find an empty spot that is not buried in 2 feet of snow, I finally park, hop out of my car, and run in.

And run right into my mother.

Who – I must insert here – does NOT go to my church. Nope – not at all. She has her own church – and has only been to my church one time in all the years we’ve been going there. And that was only because I was giving the sermon that day – which is a good reason to visit your daughter’s church, I guess. I mean, considering that it was a pretty big deal and all – to be giving the sermon. But I digress. Back to the story.

I look at her in shock – she looks at me in shock – and then we quickly give each other a hug. I haven’t seen her since Christmas – so hugs were definitely in order.

“What the heck are YOU doing here?” I ask, at the same exact time that she asks me, “What the heck are YOU doing here?”

“It’s MY church. I belong here. Why wouldn’t I be here?” I answer.

She indicates that she really thought I would be in Haiti by now, responding with the American Red Cross.

I told her that only the International Red Cross is responding at this time, and then remind her that she hasn’t answered my question. Why is SHE here? At MY church?

Mom is a Quilt fanatic. She’s always quilting….she even has an entire room in her basement dedicated to pursuing her hobby – which, most definitely, did NOT get handed down to me. Shudder. I have no desire to quilt. Ever.

Anywho, she’s in charge of a local Quilt Show coming up in the area, and the show will be at the church – so she was meeting several other quilters from the committee to discuss the show.

Wow. What were the odds that we would both be at my church – at exactly the same time – for two different reasons – both pursing our passions, which are totally different?

Coincidence. The “noteworthy alignment of two or more events or circumstances without obvious casual connection.”

Just wondering if anyone else has ever had one of those really weird, coincidental things happen? Ever run into your mother in a totally unexpected, weird place? No? Just me?

Signature

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Good morning and first may I say WELCOME BACK! You have been missed! I ran into my Mom a few weeks ago at my doctors office...we live in a major city so it was a pretty huge shock! At least you have a Mom that makes lovely quilts for you and you don't have to do it yourself!

The Grounded Drink Lady said...

Yeah...I too am glad to see your back! I was wondering if you'd be headed to Haiti. I can't imagine how hard it would be. Horrible. Anyhow, my sister and I ran into my Mom at the Farmers Market in downtown Dallas. Very strange. AND she was quite snippy with us because we didn't invite her...even though she was with friends. Glad it hasn't happened since. ;)