Monday, January 11, 2010

Tree Frogs and Ear Plugs


Wednesday, January 6

Day #5 of the 2010 Jamaica Medical Mission Trip

Another day in paradise - well, okay - another day of cool, cloudy temperatures and no sunshine. But - the rain is stopped - temporarily, anyway.

Today, we will take on our outside painting challenge - and get it done before the heavens open up again.

For those of you who have followed this blog since its inception, you will remember that I was in Jamaica at this same time last year. And last year, I painted a concrete wall in front of the dorm. Here's a photo from 2009:

And now - here's a photo of THIS year's painting project:
Do I look any older? I think not. I think I look just as fabulous as ever - as any Queen should.

So - yes, I painted more concrete wall. I seem to have a talent for this sort of thing. And just like last year - I had several Jamaican men walk by - stop - stare - and then comment, "You just don't see women painting. And especially WHITE women. In Jamaica, anyway."

After doing this for 2 years in a row, you'd think they'd be used to it by now.

Painting lasted most of the day - but I finished it by doing a little caulking at the clinic, and measuring screen for the dorm windows. Hey - I am a Jack of all trades, Master of none. The things you learn on a mission trip.

Evenings here are usually spent playing hilariously funny games of CatchPhrase -



...and listening to the serenade of baby goats and tree frogs outside our window. If you have never heard a chorus of tree frogs - well, you just aren't living. They're very melodious. Not.

Imagine a squeaky teeter-totter right outside your window. And then multiply that by the hundreds. Squeak. Squeak. Squeak. For hours. And hours. And hours.

Ahhh....the sounds of a Caribbean paradise. Life just doesn't get much better.

Thank God for ear plugs.

Peace.

Signature

No comments: