Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Third Time's a Charm?




When my Dear Daughter was 6 years old, she begged and pleaded to have her ears pierced...

...when it reached the point where I no longer delighted in seeing her beg and plead and suffer and it crossed over to where it was just down-right annoying, I caved and took her in and had the deed done.

Within two months, because of lack of care and lack of initiative on her part, her ears closed up and they were pierced no more.

When Dear Daughter turned 9, she once again began begging and pleading to have her ears pierced. This time, though, I fought back a little more and reminded her of how she had not shown responsibility for the ears when she was 6, and why should this time be different?

"Because I'm older and I'm more mature," was her very wise and mature answer. She then tacked on a plaintive "PLEEEAAASSSE!"
for good measure.

We debated back and forth for a few weeks, and after repeated assurances from her that she would take care of the ears, I took her in and had the deed done. Again.

And again...within a few months...she had neglected to keep earrings in, and the ears closed up and they were pierced no more. Deja vu.

"I'm done," I said to Hubs. "She can beg and plead until the cows come home, but I'm done. No more."

I knew Daughter was too smart to come to me and beg and plead any more...she knew I stood firm and it wasn't going to happen any more on my watch.

What I didn't count on was her roping in someone else.

Yesterday, her older sister (We'll call her "Daughter J") called and asked to take Dear Daughter (who's now 11) out for the day...they'd go to a local festival in town, do some shopping, and just hang out.

Daughter J is 30 years old, married, with two sons of her own. I know she likes female company, so I said, "Sure. No problem."

As I sent Dear Daughter out the door yesterday with Daughter J, I hugged her and said, "Now - be good...don't be a pest. Make good choices and be smart." You know - all of those "Mom" things we say as we send our kids out the door.

Dear Daughter came home last night with two, fresh holes in her ears...I guess her idea of "being good" and "making good choices" and "being smart" was begging and pleading older sister to take her to get her ears pierced.

Argh. Here we go again.

Peace.

Signature

No comments: