Wednesday, August 25, 2010

You Say Potato....




I'm getting ready to hit the road on Saturday and drive SOLO for 21 hours, 1400 miles, from Kansas City to Ft Myers, Florida.

Crazy? Insane? Stupid? Outrageous?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

My goal is to get one of our extra vehicles - my "old" 2006 Mazda Speed 6 - down to our house in Florida so that we have a car while we're there. Hey - we rented a minivan last month for a week while in Florida, and it was over $1,000. A thousand dollars??!! That IS crazy and insane and outrageous! I refuse to pay one more dime in car rental fees, so hence the road trip.

So, I've decided to pack some things here at the KC house and transport them with me...my car will be loaded to the rafters with all necessary stuff to make our lives easier in Florida. Hubs would beg to differ on what I consider necessary, but he doesn't get a vote in this. I'm the one putting my life on the line by driving all by my lonesome for 2 days - so I get to make the decisions. Such as what my cargo is.

One of the items that I consider a necessity is a giant carved wooden pelican. The pelican came with our house last year - so I guess you could say we "inherited" it. We certainly never bought the darn thing. "Woody Woodpecker" is 4-foot tall - and is actually a unique conversation piece. However, I've decided that the pelican would look so much better at a beach house in Florida than a log cabin at the lake. Theming, and all....

I was asking Hubs to help me lift it today, so I can get it into the car. The thing is solid wood and weighs a ton.

I sweetly looked at him, and said, "Honey...sweetie pie...can you lift the giant pecan and put it in the back seat for me??"

He looked at me and said, "What? Pecan? What the hell is THAT? And why would a PECAN be necessary in Florida?!"

I realized what I had just said, and busted a gut laughing. I said, "Hey - it's an honest mistake. I just left out a syllable...it happens all the time, I'm sure...! I just left out the 'li' in 'pelican'! Give me a break! Pelican - pecan - potato - tomato. It's all the same!"

He shook his head and said, "No, honey...it doesn't happen all the time. Only YOU could leave an entire syllable out of a word."

I'm blaming it on the stress of the upcoming road trip - it's certainly NOT because I'm getting old.

Right? Right?

Peace.

Signature

No comments: