Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Toadstool Sandwich with Arsenic Sauce


The Grinch.

We all know him. We all love him. Well, okay - we love him after he has his epiphany and his heart grows 3 times and he gives Christmas back to the Whos in Whoville and he's nice to Max, his dog. (I always loved that little dog - I guess it's because I used to have a dog named Max a long, long time ago. Poor little Max, forced to be the reindeer and pull that heavy sled...oops, I digress.)

Anywho (ha!), I find myself sometimes falling into my "Grinch" mood this time of year. It's easy to do.

I look at the multitude of cars parked at the grocery store and I think, "Why do ALL those people decide to go grocery shopping at the same time I do?! Can't they come back another time?!"

I look at all the hordes of shoppers at the mall and I think, "Geez, people - get a life. Go shopping another time. Or do it on the internet, like me. Go away so I can have the mall to myself!!!"

I look at my to-do list and I think, "This is insane. Why do I have to have so many freakin' kids and grandkids? Why do I always have to do all of the gift shopping? Why doesn't hubby help? Why do I have to plan all of the parties and buy all of the food and keep the calendar up to date?"

I look at the mountains of gifts bought and I think, "Why do I have to wrap all of these? Man, that takes a lot of time and effort. Who has the time OR the effort? Certainly not me!"

I look at my house and I think, "Why do I have to decorate it? Can't we just leave it the way it is? Why do I have to put lights on my tree? Why do I even have to put up a tree in the first place?!"

And then, as I was reminded just this morning in church, it's not about the food - or the gifts - or the wrapping paper - or the decorations - or the tree. It's really not. The Grinch took all of those things from the Whos, with the cruel intention of taking away their Christmas.

And it didn't work.

The Whos still celebrated Christmas. It didn't matter that they had nothing material. They knew they were blessed just because of what the day represented. They all gathered around Christmas morning, held hands, and joyfully sang their hearts out.

And I snapped out of my Grinch mood. And I remembered how blessed I am. And I will joyfully go shopping for food and gifts; I will joyfully wrap them; I will joyfully plan & attend the holiday parties; and I will joyfully decorate. Because those things are visual reminders of just how blessed I am.

I know, I know. I don't need the reminders. But they're all fun. And they're all good.

So - no termites in my smile today. My heart's not a dead tomato splotched with moldy purple spots today.

Nope - my heart is 3x bigger today. I'm blessed.

Peace.

Signature

5 comments:

Aunt Juicebox said...

I love watching Christmas movies, listening to the music, seeing all the lights, etc. But I do hate even so much as stopping at Walgreens for some Tylenol because of the craziness and the traffic. Ugh. As for gift wrapping - I don't do it. I go to the dollar store and buy gift bags, and put everything in those. And I have reused the same ones for my family year after year. =)

Jenny said...

Awwww....I'm happy that you heart isn't a moldy tomato. I knew it wasn't already by your sweet blog!

lacochran said...

The Grinch scared the heck out of me. Especially the way he treated Max. Chuck Jones can certainly draw evil, can't he?

Glad you're feeling good about where you are.

Unknown said...

thank you. i needed this...i'm feeling a little grinchy lately.

Anonymous said...

laurentian university http://topcitystyle.com/north-sails-polo-shirt-for-women-sky-blue-item1897.html maryland square shoes [url=http://topcitystyle.com/la-martina-sport-bags-brand27.html]in thier shoes[/url] water shoes for toddlers
http://topcitystyle.com/evening-cocktail-page3.html customized shoes [url=http://topcitystyle.com/white-pink-gucci-color34.html]loius vuitton shoes[/url]