Thursday, February 18, 2010

Kicking the Tires


The last few weeks have certainly been eye-opening - after being married to the same man for over 10 years now, I really, really thought I knew him well. Boy - was I wrong.

I have been seeing a whole new side of him lately that - frankly? Scares me.

Yes...a very, scary side of him that is totally freaking me out and leaving me lying next to him at night, wondering who this Frankenstein is - and how did I not see this before...?

What is it, you ask?

Hubby and I have been doing that joyless task these last few weeks of car shopping. We have been on a quest to find the "perfect" car for me, and wow. What fun. I should actually clarify that sentence. HE has been on a quest to find the "perfect" car; because as for me? One car is pretty much just as good as another. Frankly, I don't think the perfect car exists and would be quite happy to settle for "good enough."

But - not hubby. He shakes in horror at the mere mention of "good enough." It has to be perfect. Every single night, he has come home with new research that he's been doing - and with excited plans to go test drive his newest and latest find....and once we're in the car, he begins to tear it apart - nitpick it to death - down to the stitching on the seats. Nothing has met his extremely high expectations lately when it comes to cars...and yet...I detect a somewhat sadistic pleasure in him in this quest.

Not me. I'm just tired of the whole process and want it over.

And thankfully, yesterday - it is. I put my foot down and said, "This is it. We're buying this car today. No more shopping." And we bought a car.

And the look on his face - it was like I had taken away his favorite toy. No more kicking tires. The agony. The defeat. Argh. I had squelched the "hunter" in him and he is not happy.

Peace.

Signature

4 comments:

Jenny said...

So what did you get?

Aunt Juicebox said...

I need a new car too. My criteria are not too strict either, I just want it to be automatic (after 8 years of driving a stick, I'm tired) and to have auto locks, windows, etc, and those defroster lines in the back window. You don't realize what a luxury those things are til you drive a car that doesn't have them, especially in a place where you wake up to frost on the windows at least 6 months of the year.

KCSherri said...

Jenny - I am the proud owner of a candy-apple red Ford Taurus SHO. My son says it's "hot" - so I guess that makes me a little more "cool" in his eyes!

AJ - I am with you - I was giving up my stick shift and went with an automatic. My shoulder injury was making shifting very hard. And you crack me up - the defroster lines in the back window - I guess I never thought of those! That would have been one more thing for hubby to be analyzing, critiquing, etc!

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

Saw your comment at another blog and loved the name, so I decided to come by for a visit. The buying a car story was one I understood completely. There is a look in their eyes that wasn't there before the shopping began. It is definitely a hunter gatherer thing.
Take care,
Dana