Monday, February 22, 2010

Snow Days & Ponies


Snow day, schmow day.

Today is yet another snow day for the children in our school district....this makes five so far this year. Five days to make up at the end of the school year. Geesh.

It began lightly snowing Saturday night...nothing major, though...and it had turned to rain by Sunday morning. The salt trucks were out in force yesterday, and we had no problems with the roads on the way to church yesterday.

Speaking of church, you should see my kids start praying when the first snowflake starts dropping. For kids who somewhat grumble at the nightly dinner blessing, and who grumble about getting up on Sunday mornings for church - they sure develop a lot of faith when the snow starts falling.

"Please, oh, please, oh, please, God...please let us have a snow day tomorrow." This, coming out of the mouth of my 10-year old daughter - repeatedly echoed by my 16-year old son - yesterday afternoon.

"Why do you pray like that? God has nothing to do with whether you have a snow day tomorrow or not. It's strictly up to the school superintendent," I replied, trying to be logical about the whole thing.

"My Sunday school teacher says that God answers all prayers..." my daughter solemnly states to me.

"Well, the roads are just fine." I said. "Don't get your hopes up - I'm sure you'll be going to school Monday morning."

Imagine my surprise this morning when my kids' prayers were answered and school was canceled. My daughter shot me a somewhat "gloating" look this morning, as in "Ha! Ye of little faith.....!" Now, imagine my amusement when later I heard her whispering,

"Oh, God...please let me have a pony. Please, oh, please, oh, please."

Dream on, sister. Dream on.

Of course, who can blame her for trying? Hey, she got her snow day - so why not shoot the wad and go for the pony? She just doesn't realize that I'm praying just as hard - if not harder - for no ponies. And I think even God will concede on this one.

Peace.

Signature

1 comment:

La'Tonya Richardson said...

OMG, that is so funny! What's crazy we adults will do the same thing. He answered one, why not ask for what I really want!

But a poney?! That's hilarious!