Sunday, December 19, 2010

A King's Celebration




"This is the LAST year I'm putting up the Christmas lights!"

So said Hubby, as he untangled (hmmm...i think he was doing more tangling than untangling, myself) the lights a few weeks back to be strung across the rooflines of our house.

I just smiled. He says that every year.

And every year, I'll find him out on a ladder, cussing and cursing, as he strives for the PERFECT Christmas light display on our house.

Every year, I swear this will be the last year I'm going to drag the Christmas tree up from the basement, climb up and down the ladder, hang ornaments, attach bows and ribbons, and strive for the PERFECT Christmas tree in our living room.

Every year, I swear this will be the last year I find the PERFECT Christmas card to send, gather up the family & friends addresses, pick out the prettiest Christmas stamp, suffer through hand spasms as I sign our names, and haul the cards to the insanely-crowded post office for mailing.

Every year, I swear this will be the last year that I will bake and create the PERFECT Christmas goodies in the kitchen - pouring over the millions of recipes I've collected over the years, searching and hunting for ingredients in the crowded aisles of the local grocer, and creating a gargantuan mess in the kitchen.

And yet.


The 2010 Tree...

Just like Hubby, who says that his lights are a celebration & tribute of Jesus's birth at Christmas, and so how could he NOT put up the lights...

I'll put up the tree...and decorate it to befit the birthday of a King.

I'll send out cards...to wish my family and friends a Merry Christmas as we celebrate His birth.

I'll bake oodles and oodles of cookies and breads...in order to feast at His celebration.

And I enjoy it. I love it. To me? It's Christmas.

It's memories & traditions for my kids.

It's not Christmas without the lights on the house.

It's not Christmas without the tree in the living room.

It's not Christmas without cards being sent and received.

It's not Christmas without homemade cookies in the kitchen.

So excuse us if we sometimes grumble.

That's just part of our traditions, too.

Peace.

Signature

1 comment:

Susan Roux said...

Oh I've done way too much grumbling this year. So much so that I actually stopped doing some of the insane things that are suppose to be Christmas. I even feel better keeping it low key. But I have to admit, even though I could have skipped the tree, I'm really enjoying seeing it twinkle in the living room...