Tuesday, October 27, 2009

10 on Tuesday: When I Need a Good Scare


Halloween is fast approaching, and so ‘tis the season to watch those spooky, scary, suspenseful movies….I am really not a fan of this genre – I’ll take a nice, silly comedy any day – but in honor of Halloween, here’s a list of what I could watch if I wanted a good scare:

1. Halloween
Bad guys are supposed to die at the end of movies - everyone knows that – and yet…Michael Myers lived. Yikes.

2. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
This was on cable a few months ago – and I found myself drawn into the story of the doctor who realizes his town is getting taken over by aliens. I found myself shouting at the screen, “Run! Run! They’re coming!” Like he could hear me.

3. The Fly
I can’t get the image of Jeff Goldblum out of my head – which is scary enough by itself – but as a fly? Even worse.

4. When A Stranger Calls
Carol Kane as the babysitter – being terrorized by someone IN THE HOUSE! Truly a babysitter’s nightmare…well, other than the kids she’s babysitting.

5. Deliverance
Such happy, innocuous banjo music for such a terror-filled movie of campers being terrorized by hideous hillbillies. What a twisted movie.

6. Fargo
Speaking of twisted – the Coen brothers….need I say more? Fargo opens with the following text: “This is a true story.” I’m gullible – I believed it – and I freaked out. Silly Coens. Not funny, dudes.

7. Rosemary’s Baby
A mixture of rape by Satan (that can’t be good), uncaring doctors, nosy neighbors, and the pregnant woman who wonders if she’s going crazy – leading to one freaky flick.

8. Psycho
I’m a big Alfred Hitchcock fan, and I (being a Psych major) LOVED the Freudian element running through this creepy classic.

9. Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte
Funny story about this movie…I was seven years old; mom was out; and dad was watching this movie on TV instead of watching us kids. I watched, as well – and when the head came rolling down the stairs? It's an image I've never forgotten. Dad was in the doghouse for a long time over this little babysitting faux pas.

10. The Wizard of Oz
You read that right. Houses spinning around because of tornadoes? Flying monkeys? Wicked witches? Evil, mean trees in a dark, spooky forest? And this is considered a CHILDREN’S movie??! Yeah, right. I hate this movie. I really do.

That’s my list – movies that have gone "Boo!" and scared me to death at some time or other. What are YOUR movies that scare you?

Peace.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I don't do scary. Ever. Even my grand-kids know to make me close my eyes at scary parts in cartoons - ha! Sad but true. But hey....BOO TO YOU!

Almitra said...

I have to admit, I've only seen a few of the movies you listed. I'm just not one to watch something scary on purpose (to my husband's chagrin). I did find Psycho scary, and I watched one of the Freddie movies (I don't know which number), I also jumped at Misery! Wikes, talk about creepy!