Sunday, October 25, 2009

Halloween Hotness


Has anyone tried to find an adult Halloween costume lately? Holy smokes – I had a party to attend last night, and so I skipped on up to the local costume shop – and about had a coronary.

Along the shop wall, there was “Sexy Witch”, “Sexy Ghoul”, “Sexy Roman Goddess”, “Sexy Pirate” – and, I kid you not – “Sexy Nun.” Seriously? What convent does “Sexy Nun” belong to??!? I looked for - but didn't see "Sexy Priest" - I guess that wouldn't have been politically correct, huh? I then turned the corner, and “Sexy Fairy” was staring at me. What??! Since when did Tinkerbell and the Tooth Fairy turn into sex goddesses?

I really must be getting old, because I just stood there, dumbfounded, at all the “Sexy” staring back at me. I mean, I try to be hip – I listen and attempt to dance to “Sexy Back” – but this was just beyond bizarre. And a little discomforting. I have a 10-year old daughter and I can only imagine what messages she’s getting when she’s shopping with me, taking all of this in.

What happened to the days when we’d put a sheet over our heads and cut out the eyes – and call ourselves a ghost? Now, it’s “Glam Ghost”. Or we have “Wicked Witch” – and the “wicked” isn’t referring to how evil she is, if you get my drift. Oh, and lookie here! We have – va va VOOM! – “Vivacious Vampire!” Geesh.

For Halloween this year, I’m going to stick to what I know best. I’m going as a Middle-Aged Drama Queen. There may not be much “sexy” in that – but hey - it works for me.

Peace.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I know! I see that too when I went out shopping.

Jenny said...

It is really sad, I think. All the sex stuff for all ages. I'm going as a middle-aged-frumpy-woman....and it's not gonna be sexy. Sigh.